Thursday, July 7, 2011

21st Century Skills: Learning For Life in Our Times

As I sifted through the book so far I came across a few things that caught my attention.
1. I never knew there a was name for the technical areas (STEM - science, technology, engineering, mathematics). At the public school I taught at them emphasized Reading & Math, but what about the other 3 subjects in STEM? We aren't helping our students by focusing on only 2 subjects. (pg. 24)
2. I really like the slogan that Tay Lai Ling stated on page 37: "Teach Less, Learn More". I believe the "coaching model" will be a wonderful asset to the way students learn.
3. I'm interesting in checking out the learning materials available from Educators for Social Responsibility (ESR) (pg. 80) I would like to know what is available for grades 1-2.
4. I would also like to research the Oracle Education Foundation (pg. 82), to see what professional development programs they offer and if they would be beneficial for the staff at my school.

3 comments:

  1. All interesting ideas. There are some good web sites out there for STEM, and I know some teachers from my school went to a workshop this summer that they were really excited about. http://www.stemedcoalition.org/ This is the kind of resource we can help our teachers find and use.http://www.thinkfinity.org/stem. I helped someone online today who is the new STEM coordinator for his community college. (in Arizona) I thought that was really interesting, because I had thought of it as a K-12 thing.

    Educators for Social Responsibility sounds like a good thing to check out; I didn't know there was such an organization, though I know they exist for other fields. I'll be interested to hear what you find out.

    I've always been interested in the work of the Search Institute and the idea of developmental assets that kids need to succeed. I'd be interested to hear what you think of them, and also what relationships may exist among these organizations/ideas http://www.search-institute.org/developmental-assets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw this today and thought you'd be interested in more on STEM http://www.eclassroomnews.com/2011/07/14/how-to-make-stem-education-a-success/

    ReplyDelete